What is uTorrent?
With over 150 million users uTorrent is the most widely used BitTorrent client outside China; globally only behind Xunlei. The “μ” (Greek letter “mu”) in its name comes from the SI prefix “micro-“, referring to the program’s small memory footprint: the program was designed to use minimal computer resources while offering functionality comparable to larger BitTorrent clients such as Vuze or BitComet.
uTorrent was controversial for mining cryptocurrency when installed. They had removed the cryptocurrency miner in later versions but it had already done irreversible damage to uTorrent’s reputation.
- Magnet Links (URIs), added in version 1.8, released on August 9, 2008.
- Teredo tunneling / IPv6 support
- Micro Transport Protocol (µTP) preliminary support as of 1.8.2 with full-support added in 2.0
- UPnP support for all versions of Windows, without needing Windows XP‘s UPnP framework
- Protocol encryption (PE)
- Peer exchange (PEX) with other BitTorrent clients:
- libtorrent and clients based on it like Deluge or qBittorrent have full μTorrent PEX support
- Transmission and clients based on libTransmission have full μTorrent PEX support
- KTorrent has full μTorrent PEX support as of 2.1 RC1
- Vuze, formerly Azureus, has full support as of version 22.214.171.124
- RSS (“broadcatching“)
- “Trackerless” BitTorrent support using DHT, compatible with the original BitTorrent client and BitComet
- User configurable intelligent disk caching system
- Full proxy server support
- HTTPS tracker support
- Configurable bandwidth scheduler
- Localized for 67 languages.
- Initial seeding of torrents
- Customizable search bar & user interface design.
- Configuration settings and temporary files are stored in a single directory, allowing portable use
- WebUI: A plugin currently in beta testing that allows μTorrent running on one computer to be controlled from another computer, either across the internet or on a LAN, using a Web browser
- A new web user interface, codenamed Falcon, is in development. It supports encrypted sessions and the ability of going through firewalls without port forwarding, while being more complete and easier to start using than its predecessor.
- Embedded Tracker: a simple tracker designed for seeding torrents, lacking a web interface or list of hosted torrents. It is not designed for secure or large-scale application.
- Quick-resumes interrupted transfers
- Versions of μTorrent up to 1.8.5 build 17091 can use as little as 14 MB of RAM running on a 486 processor on Windows 95.
- Two “easter egg” hidden features in the About subsection of Help: clicking the μTorrent logo plays a Deep Note-like sound effect, and typing the letter “t” starts a Tetris-like game called μTris, which in 2008 was selected as #1 of the “Top 10 Software Easter Eggs” by LifeHacker.
You can check out the offical uTorrent website: Here
How to install uTorrent in Ubuntu 21.04?
The installation of uTorrent is pretty simple, just open any terminal u like and type:
# Install uTorrent using snap in Ubuntu 21.04 sudo snap install utorrentCode language: CSS (css)
after waiting for the installation to complete go to the start menu and run uTorrent
Here is a quick view and install video
There are many free and open source torrent clients for Linux. We could say that for every taste there is a choice. If you know other good torrent clients, please comment bellow so that we can review them too.
We hope you enjoyed this article. if that is so please rate this page with the stars bellow and subscribe to our YouTube channel or follow us on twiter.