In this article we are going to show you four social media command line tools for the most popular social networks like Facebook, Twitter and Reddit. They are interesting, fun and are another way of looking at social networks outside the browser.
1 – Facebook Command Line Interface
With this tool you get a limited Facebook functionality from the command line. You can login with your account, look for news, check friends and much more.
Also you can use it to generate html pages like to build a page that lets you click your friends’ profile pictures to jump to their timelines
Or you can build a searchable index of all the Facebook pages you follow
Another cool feature is that you can create a screensaver that prints the titles of all of your ‘Liked’ Facebook pages
2 – Oysttyer a Twitter Command Line Interface
Oysttyer is a console-based Twitter client written in Perl it’s the official fork and replacement for what was once Floodgap’s TTYtter.
Here are some of the key features:
- In interactive mode, it is a fully interactive client with asynchronous background updates and commands. Use it over telnet, ssh or even a dummy terminal. Supports Streaming API, ANSI colour, UTF-8, hashtags and Twitter Search!
- Works within your favourite environment: use a compatible readline library (like our own bespoke Term::ReadLine::TTYtter), or modify prompt and input methods for many popular window and session managers. Or don’t: basic editing and screen management features built-in.
- From the command line, use it to update your Twitter in shell scripts, from cron, and so on.
- Security: Supports Twitter OAuth and HTTP Basic Authentication, and SSL where supported by your user agent.
- Notification support with Growl and libnotify (and extendable to others via the API).
- Geolocation support: hand your GPS coordinates to TTYtter for any application.
- Lists support, including fast creation and modification, and merging lists with your timeline as “custom timelines.”
- Supports Twitter-alike APIs, compatible with Twitter API 1.1.
- Supports standard timelines and automatically fetches direct messages, and optionally replies/mentions, and runs queries against the Search API and incorporates them into your timeline as well.
- New and old re-tweet support.
- Write and use your own custom extensions!
- Run detached in -daemon mode, and make your own Twitter bot!
Here is a list with the commands: Here
3 – Rainbowstream a Twitter Command Line Interface
Terminal-based Twitter Client. Real-time tweetstream, compose, search, favorite, and much more fun directly from terminal.
- Interactive Mode
- Theme Customization
4 – Reddit Command Line Interface
A text-based interface (TUI) to view and interact with Reddit from your terminal.
TUIR currently depends on Michael Lazar’s (maintainer of RTV) fork of PRAW being packaged with the program. Michael’s fork is a fork from PRAW version 3.6.1, which is currently unsupported. Further, packaged dependencies aren’t looked upon fondly by various distribution’s packaging guidelines (#11, Gentoo Wiki – Why not bundle dependencies). Due to this, I’m working to update TUIR to a more recent PRAW version which isn’t bundled.
In this article we showed you four social media command line tools for the most popular social networks.
- Another article that you can be interested in is 10 Best Lite Command Line Text Editors In Linux.