In this article we are going to install skype in Ubuntu Linux. Skype is a proprietary telecommunications application that specializes in providing video chat and voice calls between computers, tablets, mobile devices, the Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S consoles, and smartwatches over the Internet. Skype also provides instant messaging services. Users may transmit text, video, audio and images. Skype allows video conference calls.
- Audio and HD video calling – Experience crystal clear audio and HD video in one to one or group calls – now with call reactions too.
- Smart messaging – Instantly react to any message with fun reactions or use @mentions to grab someone’s attention.
- Screen sharing – Easily share presentations, holiday photos or anything on your screen during a call with integrated screen sharing.
- Call recording and Live subtitles – Record Skype calls to capture special moments, note key decisions and use live subtitles to read the words that are spoken.
- Call phones – Reach friends who aren’t online with affordable international calling rates to mobiles and landlines.
- Private conversations – Keep your sensitive conversations private with industry standard end to end encryption.
- How To Install Skype On Ubuntu Linux ?
- How To Uninstall Skype On Ubuntu Linux ?
- How to update Skype ?
- Quick Video Tutorial
- Easy Zoom Install (Latest Version) On Ubuntu In Terminal
How To Install Skype On Ubuntu Linux ?
Installing skype via the terminal:
The most easy way to install Skype is by using the snap package manager. Snap is a software packaging and deployment system developed by Canonical for operating systems that use the Linux kernel ( Like in our example Ubuntu ). The packages, called snaps, and the tool for using them, snapd, work across a range of Linux distributions and allow upstream software developers to distribute their applications directly to users.
# How to install Skype on Ubuntu 21.04 Linux ? $ sudo snap install skypeCode language: PHP (php)
After waiting for the installation to finish you can start skype via the GUI or just typing skype in the terminal.
The other way is to use the graphical interface like in the following screenshots in 2 steps :
Installing Skype with apt:
Skype is available from the official Microsoft Apt repositories. Apt, is a free-software user interface that works with core libraries to handle the installation and removal of software on Debian, Ubuntu, and related Linux distributions. To install it, follow the steps below:
# How to install skype on Ubuntu 21.04 using apt ? $ wget https://go.skype.com/skypeforlinux-64.deb $ sudo apt install ./skypeforlinux-64.debCode language: PHP (php)
Now skype can be started like in the previous example the same way with the terminal and GUI.
How To Uninstall Skype On Ubuntu Linux ?
If you have used the snap package manager use the following command :
# Remove Skype using snap on Ubuntu 21.04 $ sudo snap remove skypeCode language: PHP (php)
If you have used apt package manager use the following example :
# Remove Skype using apt on Ubuntu 21.04 $ sudo apt remove skypeCode language: PHP (php)
How to update Skype ?
In the both examples Skype is going to be update the normal way using apt update.
Quick Video Tutorial
In this article we checked two easy ways to install Skype on Ubuntu 21.04 Linux.
- Another article that you can be interested in is Easy Zoom Install (Latest Version) On Ubuntu In Terminal.