What is eDEX-UI Terminal Emulator?
eDEX-UI Terminal is a fullscreen, cross-platform terminal emulator and system monitor that looks and feels like a sci-fi computer interface.
Heavily inspired from the TRON Legacy movie effects (especially the Board Room sequence), the eDEX-UI project was originally meant to be “DEX-UI with less « art » and more « distributable software »”. While keeping a futuristic look and feel, it strives to maintain a certain level of functionality and to be usable in real-life scenarios, with the larger goal of bringing science-fiction UXs to the mainstream.
It might or might not be a joke taken too seriously.
- Fully featured terminal emulator with tabs, colors, mouse events, and support for
- Real-time system (CPU, RAM, swap, processes) and network (GeoIP, active connections, transfer rates) monitoring.
- Full support for touch-enabled displays, including an on-screen keyboard.
- Directory viewer that follows the CWD (current working directory) of the terminal.
- Advanced customization using themes, on-screen keyboard layouts, CSS injections. See the wiki for more info.
- Optional sound effects made by a talented sound designer for maximum hollywood hacking vibe.
- Linux Uprising Blog
- My post on r/unixporn
- Korben article (in french)
- Hacker News
- This tweet that made me smile
- BoingBoing article – Apparently i’m a “French hacker”
- OReilly 4 short links
- Developpez.com (another french link)
- GitHub Blog’s Release Radar November 2018
- opensource.com Productive Tools for 2019
- O’Reilly 4 short links (again)
- Linux For Everyone (Youtube)
- BestOfJS Rising Stars 2020
- The Geek Freaks (Youtube/German)
- JSNation Open Source Awards 2021 (Nominee – Fun Side Project of the Year)
How to install eDEX-UI Terminal
First things first, we have to download it:
Code language: PHP (php)
# Download latest version wget https://github.com/GitSquared/edex-ui/releases/download/v2.2.7/eDEX-UI-Linux-x86_64.AppImage # You can download latest version from here https://github.com/GitSquared/edex-ui/releases
Now we have to make the file executable
Code language: CSS (css)
# Make executable chmod +x eDEX-UI-Linux-x86_64.AppImage
And finally run the terminal emulator
Code language: PHP (php)
# Run program ./eDEX-UI-Linux-x86_64.AppImage
You will see it loading and after it will open.
That’s all! eDEX-UI is a geeky, full screen, and cross-platform desktop application resembling a sci-fi futuristic computer interface. It’s not built for doing any practical work your system, but to make your device or computer feel insanely geeky. If you have any thoughts to share, reach us via the comment form below.