About VMware Tools
When you install a virtual machine or a guest OS in your machine, it does not exactly perform like the host OS because it has some limitations regarding performance. But VMware presented a solution for this by introducing VMware guest tools that enhance and improve the performance of the guest OS.
VMware tools enable the integration between the host and the guest operating systems. It includes the set of utilities that improves the graphical performance of VM and enables sharing folders, clock synchronization, mouse tracking, and much more. Therefore, whenever you install a virtual machine on VMware, your first priority should be to install VMware tools before doing anything else.
In this article, we will explain how to install VMware tools on Ubuntu 21.04 using apt and Open VM tools.
Let’s take a look at some of the features of VMware tools:
- Time synchronization between the host and the guest operating systems
- Copy-paste text between applications on two VMs or among a VM and host
- Improves graphical performance
- Enables Shared folder to allow exchanging the files between VM and the host
- Improves cursor movement
- Allow snapshots of the Guest OS
How To Install VMware Tools
Open VM Tools is the open-source implementation of the VMware Tools. It is specifically made for Linux distributions and it is available in standard repositories of most Linux distributions. So we will install it from the Ubuntu repository by using the apt package manager. It is much easier to install compared to standard VMware tools installation.
To start the installation, launch the Terminal in your Ubuntu OS and enter the below command to install open VM tools using the apt package manager:
Code language: PHP (php)
# How To Install VMware Tools On Ubuntu 21.04 Linux $ apt-get install open-vm-tools
When prompted, press y to continue the installation.
Wait for a while until the installation is completed. Finally, reboot the system for the changes to take effect.
In this article we installed and reviewed Open VM Tools on Ubuntu Linux using the apt package manager.
- Another article that you can be interested in is How to install Opera In Ubuntu 21.04 [ Using the terminal ].
- Or How to check the installation date of your linux operating system?
- And Worst Linux Distros for Beginners [ And What To Choose ]