- What are the main changes and advantages in Ubuntu 20.10?
- How to upgrade using the terminal?
1. Upgrade current Ubuntu and remove no longer required packages
2. Edit release-upgrades
3. Do a release upgrade
If your are going to Upgrade Ubuntu from 20.04 to 20.10 then this article is perfect for you. In this article we are going to show you how to upgrade Ubuntu from 20.04 to 20.10 ( Groovy Gorilla).
The new Ubuntu 20.10 is expected to be released on 22 October 2020 If you feel adventurous you can upgrade to Ubuntu 20.10 today. All you need is to have fully upgraded and updated Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa and you can continue with the upgrade.
What are the main changes and advantages in Ubuntu 20.10?
- Calendar events in the message tray
- Battery percentage indicator
- QR Code WiFi sharing
- Muted mic indicator
- Restart option in Power Off menu
- Improved fingerprint login support
- App reorder and organizing
- Raspberry Pi 4 support
- Kernel 5.8 brings USB 4 (Thunderbolt port 3) support and more under the hood changes
- nftables replaces iptables
- Revamped screenshot tool
- Newer version of popular software’s
How to upgrade using the terminal?
1. – First fully update and upgrade your current Ubuntu 20.04 Linux system and also remove all no longer required packages.
sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade sudo apt dist-upgrade sudo apt autoremove
2. – Secondly open and edit the
/etc/update-manager/release-upgrades file and ensure that the
Prompt variable is set to
# Open release-upgrades using pico sudo pico /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades # Edit file release upgrade and change Prompt to normal # Default behavior for the release upgrader. [DEFAULT] # Default prompting behavior, valid options: # # never - Never check for a new release. # normal - Check to see if a new release is available. If more than one new # release is found, the release upgrader will attempt to upgrade to # the release that immediately succeeds the currently-running # release. # lts - Check to see if a new LTS release is available. The upgrader # will attempt to upgrade to the first LTS release available after # the currently-running one. Note that this option should not be # used if the currently-running release is not itself an LTS # release, since in that case the upgrader won't be able to # determine if a newer release is available. Prompt=normalCode language: PHP (php)
3. – And the third step is to do a release upgrade
# Do release upgrade sudo do-release-upgradeCode language: PHP (php)
If you are very close to the release date of Ubuntu 20.10 you may have to use the -d option ‘sudo do-release-upgrade -d’ in order to begin the upgrade
When the Ubuntu upgrade finishes, reboot the system. Once the system comes up, you’ll be running Ubuntu 20.10 Groovy Gorilla Linux as your new system !